What a year. It is hard to remember the start of the 2019/20 season and the months up to February ’20, before the Coronavirus Pandemic changed life as we knew it.
Can I start by extending our sympathies to all those who have lost loved ones and to those who have suffered in any way due to this awful disease and its consequences. I also want to express our thanks to the NHS and all the frontline services that have served us so well in these difficult times.
Despite everything, including no crowds since early March, it has been the best year yet for the playing side of Exeter Chiefs –
- DOUBLE CHAMPIONS
- European Champions for the first time.
- Premiership Champions for the second time
- Topping the Premiership Table for the third year running
- Reaching the Premiership Final for the fifth consecutive year
- Sam Simmonds – European Player of the Year
- Rob Baxter – Premiership Director of Rugby of the Season
Congratulations to all the players, coaches, staff and Board of Exeter Chiefs. It is a real privilege to be a supporter of this club.
The year started well with the usual mix of events:
· 13 September 2019 - Sandford Orchard, Crediton. An excellent trip round the Cidery followed by fantastic pizzas and cider tasting (Alexis Saffin)
· 17 October 2019 - ECSC AGM, Sandy Park. The AGM was followed by a great talk and Q&A by top referee Sara Cox
· 7 November 2019 - An Evening with Stuart Hogg, The Stand-off, Exeter. A most enjoyable and sold out joint venture with the hosts
· 8 November 2019 - ECSC Annual Dinner, Sandy Park. Guests enjoyed an excellent meal, auction, raffle and dance. Our guest speaker was Amy Garnett (Exeter Chiefs Women’s Assistant Coach) who spoke about her England career and aspirations for the new Women’s team
· 29 November 2019 - Another great Quiz Night at the Swans Nest, Exminster hosted by our very own Quiz Master - Paul Curgenven
· 21 February 2020 - Bingo Night, Swans Nest. The room was full to bursting as a large gathering enjoyed the Bingo with thanks to our ‘Bingo experts’ Gary and Sam Litton. (John Lockyer and David Brown)
Regrettably due to the Coronavirus we had to cancel:
· April 2020 - Wine Tasting at Pebblebed Wines (Nat Coles)
· April 2020 - Fine Dining at Exeter College (Richard Cresswell)
· June 2020 - Mid Summer Boat Trip and BBQ, Topsham (Stuart Kennedy)
· August 2020 - Golf Day, Woodbury Park (David Brown)
A huge thank-you to the committee who work hard to put on these events and to all our members who support them so generously. We hope to resume normal service as soon as circumstances permit.
The above events, raffles on the away coaches, and subscriptions raise much of the money that we use to support youth and development rugby throughout the South West and to promote rugby friendship. From the information in this report, we hope you agree that the money is being spent wisely. A copy of our Annual Accounts is attached, and I would like to thank Phil Briard for all the work he does as our Hon Treasurer.
Small Grants Scheme
From its inception in 2017/18, we have had twenty five requests of which twenty have been granted, with a total of £8,900 donated to local youth sections. Thanks to Paul Curgenven, Hon. Secretary, and Phil Briard, Hon. Treasurer, for administering this on our behalf.
During 2019/20 we have made contributions to:-
Salcombe RFC Juniors for new tackle bags £250
Ilfracombe RFC Juniors for new tackle mats and bags £500
Crediton RFC Juniors for replacing and updating all first aid kits £400
Exeter Athletic girls U13s for new training equipment packages £500
Paignton RFC Youth for junior tackle shields and Respect barrier kit £400
Exeter Athletic U11s for body pads, speed and agility bundles £400
Exmouth RFC Juniors for updating medical and first aid equipment £450
Tiverton RFC Juniors for defence and tackle equipment £500
Withycombe U14’s RFC for tackle shields and balls £500
We subsidised Supporters Club members travelling by coach up to Sale for the European Cup pool game in December ‘19, and provided a reception in the Wigwam for visiting supporters from Glasgow in November ‘19.
Our hospitality at home and our travelling Tribe reputation remains second to none, both in the UK and abroad. Coordination is key and Alexis Saffin has taken on the arrangements for our European adventures, negotiating discounts for ECSC members at various ‘HQ’ hostelries, most notably one of our favourites General Humbert’s, La Rochelle.
What’s new and ongoing?
- We continue to refresh our website, with thanks to Phil Friend.
- We have a real presence on Social Media, thanks to Nat Coles, Alexis Saffin, and Rob Friend.
- Ongoing newsletters, with thanks to Gillian Fawcett.
- We have negotiated numerous discounts for our members at a number of pubs, restaurants and shops, thanks to Nat Coles, Laura Truscott and others
- New memberships and renewals are now in full swing, thanks to our new Membership Secretary, Vikki Corrick
We all hope that we will be able to return to some normality in 2021, but in the meantime if you have any ideas on activities that the ECSC could initiate, please get in touch.
Due to our inability to hold an AGM this year, we have proposed that the tenure of the officers and membership of the ECSC Committee be extended until our next AGM in September 2021. If anyone is interested in joining the Committee or just helping out, please make contact with anyone on the Committee.
To View the 2020/21 Finance report CLICK HERE (Members Only)